Thursday, November 14, 2013

El Caribe: Ship Ahoy!

Boston, Massachusetts
November 1, 2013
Latitude  42.35° N

I swear, getting out of Plattsburgh is getting harder and harder.  It has never been easy, but it does seem to be getting more difficult.

But out we were on the early morning of November 1st.  The day was full of all sorts of anxieties and stresses.  Strong hurricane force winds were predicted and we were concerned that the little prop jet from Plattsburgh would not take off for the one hour flight to Boston.

But the winds waited, and we were off by 815 am.  Despite a few bumps, we were on the ground an hour later.  We had nothing to do but wait, so we lingered over breakfast then caught a cab to the pier.

The Norwegian Dawn was waiting for us!

Thanks to Glenda´s ability to upgrade our stateroom, we were able to check in early and board the boat. We had no luggage, and we weren't able to get into our room for several hours, so it gave us a good deal of time or orient ourselves to a new cruise liner.

It also gave me time for the first time in week to just stop!

I had read someplace earlier that retirement does not end the stresses in our life.  Yes, the stress of work is gone, but others fill the gap.

Things like health issues.  My new knee, just over two months old, had been fraught with all sorts of anxieties//before and after.  And human relations go awry.  Just the week before I had been verbally assaulted at, of all places, church.  So much for Christian virtue!  No wonder people stay away.

We finally did get to our stateroom--a mini-suite with a balcony--by 4:00 pm-  It was an unusually warm 70 degree November 1st.  I would have gone swimming, used the jaccuzis, but, while we had the room, neither of us had any luggage.  Instead, we entertained ourselves watching pallet after pallet loaded onto the ship. Food to feed an army, as it were.  And we were an army.  2,000 passengers and another 1,000 employees.

Looking back on it we commented how we had loads of time.  Time enough to go into Boston and enjoy a bit of the city.  But we didn't.

It wasn't not until 7:00 pm--a full two hours after our scheduled departure--that we got underway. The ship´s great horn signaled our departure out of Boston harbor.

We stood on the front deck on the 14th floor.  Boston was alight on this early Friday evening.  I was excited for the adventure ahead, for a return of sunshine and heat.  But I lacked the excitement my first two cruise departures brought.  Then I was just about crawling out of my skin.  By now it was old hat.

But I had a massive headache and nothing would do until I lay down and fall asleep.  Only a quick dinner and early to bed would do.

Which is what I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment