Monday, November 18, 2013

El Caribe In the End

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
November 17, 2013
Latitude 20 30' N

In the end, we sailed so far latitudinally south that we were a mere 14 degrees from the equator. Two more days we´s have been in Spring instead of Autumn.

In the end, I traveled a total of 3,750.9 nautical miles from Boston to Cozumel.

In the end, I will miss most the company of Glenda.  But I´d also miss the fleeting, casual onboard frienships.  People like Jean and Normand of Massuchusetts; two friends, Sean and Mike, traveling together from Boston; and Colin and Gwendolyn of the UK and James of Alberta our sea-days trivia partners.

In the end, I will miss the warm, moist air that enveloped my body each time I´d sit on our 8´x¨5´ balcony--my window to the sea.  I spent hours of pleasure gazing at an exaggerated sky, the deep blue of the Carribean and the wonder of watching God´s restless, creative spirit move about the Earth--the rauch that encompased flying fish, and sooty terns, the occasional dolphin and the constant movement of the seas´s surface, the wind and yellow-warm sun--evidence, to me--of God´s spirit on Earth.

In the end, as much as I think the journey´s over, it really isn´t.  There are still three weeks to go--a week in Playa del Carmen and two in Mexico City.

In the end, I didn´t want to give up the security of the ship.  Let´s face it...the most pressing act in any cruise is making sure you get back on board in time.  Absolutely nothing is required of any passenger.  On the other hand, at least for me, there´s minimal sense of adventure.  While I love going for the ride and spending days at sea, it´s a poor substitute for travel.  A year ago I wandered down isolated trails in Bhutan, spent hours observing Hindu festivals in India and bathing and riding elephants in Nepal.  This year I got to spend eight, highly regulated hours in a port.  It's hardly enough to scratch the surface, but it was the best I could do this year.

In the end, though, it was enough and I'm happy I was able to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment