Monday, April 6, 2009

It's my Birthday and I'll Cry If I Want to: Iguazu Falls & the The Jesuit Missions of Argentina and Paraguay












August 11, 2009
Montreal, PQ, Canada

I start this entry a full four months past my 60th birthday, a birthday I thought I had under control. After all, I didn't like turning 30, 40 or 50, but once past it I just moved on. Somehow I seem stuck, as do others I know who've just turned 60. It just seems....so...old. But that, I know, is all relative to one's point of view, so it's best
to
go back to what I wrote a few days prior to March 30th. Find joy in the celebration and find thanks for having got this far.

But I'm 134 days ahead of myself. I need to back up.

It had been my plan all along to be in this particular
corner of Argentina for my birthday. I'd turned 50 in an exceptional place in Australia ten years earlier and I wanted to replicate it, but on another continent. So...how could one get much better than Iguazu Falls--the continent's largest waterfalls--and the fabulous Jesuit missions that hug both sides of the Parana River.

Well, I wasn't disappointed.


I'd come first to the gateway city of Posadas, five hours from
Iguazu,but just across the river from Paraguay. My first goal was to explore the two UNESCO World Heritage sites of San Ignacio Mini and Santa Ana--two of the 33 still standing Jesuit Missions that encircles the Parana River in Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil. This trip would only bring me to a handful of them.

In all fairness, the Argentinian side of the border provided better interpretation centers, but the Paraguayan side had the better preserved missions.

But my real mission was to be in Igauzu on the 30th. I arrived on the 28th and spent both the 29th and 30th exploring. Up and down paths I went...from the top of the falls to the river below. I walked every path available. And, in so doing, met Bill. We were both standing at an overlook watching the falls. I spoke Spanish to him, but he responded in Australian English. Yes, he'd be happy to take my picture, and "what brings you here?" he asked. "It's my birthday," I said. "I wanted to be in an phenomenal place for my 60th and this was my choice."

Turned out that he was at Iguazu for the very same reason. We both celebrated our birthdays on the 30th! He, though, would be turning 62.

So...we became travel partners for the next two days. I told him I had very definite plans for the 30th--the full Iguazu adventure package that included a 30 minute jungle ride, and a cruise in a fast boat on the river right to the falls where we'd descend under them for a full soaking.

On the morning of the 30th, we met each other at the bus stop and jointly celebrated our birthdays. What a fortunate coincidence.

That evening, over a vintage bottle of Diet Coke and a perfectly grilled Argentinian sirloin, we shared the day's experience and toasted the end of a perfect birthday,

If you gotta turn 60, you might as well do it in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment