Saturday, December 5, 2015

Saint Nicholas--For Lomme

Vienna, Austria
December 5, 2015

My poor friend Lomme.  When he was a student at SUNY Plattsburgh in the early 1980's, he always hosted a Saint Nicholas party the first weekend in December.  Those invited, of course, had no idea about St. Nicholas traditions.  "Write a poem," he tell us.  Instead, we'd show up at his apartment with gifts.


Oh, Lomme, Friend
Sung to the tune of O Christmas Tree

Oh, Lomme, friend.
It was so great
Our foray into
Flanders land.

Where poppies grow
And there is snow
Upon the graves
Of Allied troops.

Oh, Lomme, friend,
Thank you so much
For all of this
That made it grand.

From casa small
to 'seums large
And Bruges and Ghent
and Franco land.

Oh, Lomme, friend,
I can't forget
Saint Nicholas
On the Ringwaart--

The boats so fun
And Pete's galore
In Hillegom 
and Amsterdam.

It was my dream
To see Saint Nick
Arrive by boat
On his big day.

Oh, Lomme, friend,
And Ina, dear
Stephen, Marlyn
I can't forget.

Sweet memories of
The Netherlands,
Belgium, France
And Ypres, too.

I wish you all
A good feast day
Of Sinterklaas
And Christmas Day.

Oh, Lomme, friend,
Grateful I am
For friendship
That's endured the years

I have no doubt
It will endure
In Europe
or the USA.

So there...my first poem to you, Lomme.  It's only taken 33 years!  I just hope it's right!





No comments:

Post a Comment