Saturday, November 22, 2014

Iberia and Beyond 2: In the End. In the Very, Very End.

Plattsburgh, NY
November 27, 2014
Latitude 44.6953° N,
In the end, I traveled for sixty-two days visiting five countries/territories—Portugal, Spain, St. Maarten, Saint Thomas and Mexico.

In the end I would linger over the memory of sun-drenched days in central Portugal and the dry, golden plains of Andalusia and the long, lazy, sea-blue days of a trans-Atlantic cruise.

In the end, Portugal's cobbled, medina-like streets of Alcobaca, Tomar and Bathala would remain the very best part of of the trip.

In the end, the Norwegian Epic sailed 4, 685 nautical miles from Barcelona to Miami at a mere 16 nautical miles per hour. This languid days crossing the Atlantic, coupled with unending vistas of sea, sky and horizon were an extraordinary way to relax after five weeks of walking 10-15 miles a day on Iberian streets.

In the end,I've come to realize that, as much as I'd like to, it's just not possible any more to travel for extended periods of time. Maybe it's retirement, maybe it's because I can travel any time of the year that I want. Whatever. It just means a small change in how I travel. It doesn't mean the end of travel.

In the end, Mexico was overkill. It was nice to see everyone and it was wonderful to spend six days at my favorite beach, but it just wasn't necessary.

In the end, cruises are great, but for no longer than two weeks and probably no more than two a year. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Having said that, I can see a day when I'm no longer physically able to travel as I used to, and the cruise will be the only alternative. I hate to see that day coming, but it will.

In the end, I know I'm running out of time. So many places, age creeping up. Have to make the most of what time I've got left.


In the end, it was great, and I was happy to return home to the land of ice and snow, Thanksgiving, and the arms of loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment