Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Stories from the Front: CAFEMIN and the Winter of 2014

They come to CAFEMIN one at a time—singly or in family groups. They come from Guatemala, Honduras, Venezuela. They are alone and rarely have enough money. Each has traveled a different path to get here, to this refugee center in Mexico City. They have all left behind stories, some more horrific than others. They are all starting over. All come with nothing but their suitcase and the clothes on their back.

They are refugees, potential immigrants to Mexico or Canada or to the United States. Already they are hated and despised by the most radical on the Right Wing of their country’s politics.
Here are a few of their stories.

Maria January 28th, 2014

I have never met Maria, but I do know her two sons. The boys are 10 and 12 and are living at CAFEMIN without their mother. The boys, along with their mother and two younger sister, have been living at the center throughout the fall. Like many we see, they are Honduran. Two weeks before I arrive I'm told that the mother left Mexico City and traveled to the US border where she handed over her two youngest children to border officials who then gave them to an aunt waiting on the other side. These children were born in the USA and have an American father.

The boys, on the other hand, have a Honduran father, and will have to process into the United States in the conventional manner.

Mom has left them behind. At least she knows that they are safe at CAFEMIN. Once she knew her two daughters were safe, she returned to Mexico, and hired a coyote to lead her across the desert separating Mexico with the USA. She will enter the country illegally, if she survives the crossing. Many have died.

For weeks there is no contact. The nuns, who have to maintain psychological distance between themselves and their clients, are more concerned than usual. The two boys are still at CAFEMIN and no one knows when or how Mom will make contact.

And then one day there is contact. Mom has entered the US—illegally of course. By now the boys are living elsewhere, perhaps with extended family in Mexico City or have entered into the Mexican foster care system. Hardly the best thing for them.

By May, when I leave, everything is still in limbo, but I often think of this woman. WE know that life in Honduras has become intolerable...and dangerous. What could be so bad to drive this woman to escape, leave everything behind, including her two sons, to reach a place where she knows she will be safe.

It's a problem few of us will ever have to face.

Carla February 8th, 2014

Maybe she’s 35. No more than 40. She’s alone. How she got to Mexico City from Honduras is a mystery. She tells me that she had a good job in Tegucigalpa, the capital. But there is more to her story, and as the winter unfolds she tells me…

She tells me she watched her mother shot dead in front of her several years ago. She tells me the assassins shot her in the head and left her for dead. She tells of surviving but then living in fear. She tells me of her decision to left her entire known world behind her and come to a country where she won’t be targeted.

She does not tell me these stories overnight. They unfold over the course of two months. She’s helped me, more than once, in the library.

One day I come, another Monday, and she’s gone. The nuns have done what they can to get her papers in order, find her enough money to live on until she can find a job, help her find an apartment.
Then she’s really on her own. At least she speaks Spanish, yet she’s left her first world behind, then the security of her second home at the refugee center.

Roberto and his family Feast of St. Joseph, March 19th, 2014

Mom is in her ninth months of pregnancy. They already have two children—a sweet and gentle little boy who’s no more than two years old and a daughter who’s five or six. CAFEMIN is joyfully buzzing with activity. The nuns—Sisters of St. Joseph--have hosted a breakfast and dinner in honor of their patron saint. There is a festive air about the day.

Roberto and his family have come from a small village in Honduras. They've escaped. “He saw too much,” Sister Mirian tells me. Drug cartels are destroying the country, and country that was already on the brink before these warlords took control. In November they decide to leave. They have little money, no form of transportation. They walk...she pregnant, he carrying the littlest child, who often had to walk...over mountains, through jungles.

Somehow they get to Mexico and arrive at CAFEMIN just before Christmas. Here they are protected, fed, sheltered. For the three months they live at the Center they are primed by the Refugee agencies as to what to tell the Americans at the border, where they will seek political asylum.

What I do not know is that this is the family’s last day. After lunch, we gather in a circle around the family. A priest is at the center and he blesses them, asks God's safety upon them as they travel to Matamoris, on the Mexican/Texas border. Almost everyone is crying. It's hard to say goodbye to people you've lived with intimately for three months.

I am not involved with this family, but I gather with the group. I'm able to observe this small drama from an emotional distance.

The metaphor of what I'm seeing isn't lost on me. The whole event has a strong Biblical overtone. She's pregnant. He's responsible for the care of his wife and two young children. Like Joseph, whose feast day we are celebrating, he's now charged with a form of exile—traveling not to Egypt, but to the United States. The nuns and refugee agency who's helped them all along act as angels. Like the Holy Family, they are escaping, too.

We hear from them until they arrive at the border—36 hours later. And then...nothing.
All we know is that they crossed the border. It is assumed that the US has taken the initial steps in granting them political asylum.

But it's as if they've been sucked into a black hole.

It is one of the hard things about CAFEMIN. We never really know what happens to people once they leave.

David                                                                                                                                         February 20th, 2014

Robert is as American as apple pie, but he's classified as stateless.

He tells me he was born in Mexico about 70 years ago, lived on the streets and was ultimately brought to Texas by a Mexican family, is educated there, then returns to Veracruz where he's been living for the past forty years. One day, about two years ago, he says, the Mexican authorities ask him for proof of residence. He has none. He then falls into the “system,” is ultimately sent to Mexico City where Refugee organizations try to piece together his story.

There is no evidence of this man in either Mexico or the United States. He has no passport, no proof of birth in either place.

We become friends, although, in time, I learn to keep my distance. There are huge holes in his stories.

He speaks no Spanish, which is hard to believe, considering he's lived in Mexico for forty years. He says he was from Texas, but he's got a solid Philadelphia accent. He seems far more educated than he says he is.

We have lunch together one day at the end of my time at CAFEMIN. He tells me he's living on the street. I know he's reliant on a soup kitchen for his main meal. We are both Senior Citizens, and I feel his predicament more the week I turn 65. I have Social Security and a great pension. I have assets, both liquid and in good investments. He has nothing.

The Aid agencies have given up on him. There are too many discrepancies in his stories, too many times he's contradicted himself. I want to ask him...”what are you running away from, what is it you're not telling them?”

But I don't. Like all my relationships with refugees, I simply accept them for who they are and for what they are willing to tell me. I have long ago learned to do what the nuns do...provide shelter, provide a safe place to live and bestow upon them love and dignity.

I cannot imagine myself, who I see in David, in this situation.

Macario and Tere, Lili and Derek                                                                                               March 24th, 2014

So few Americans come through CAFEMIN that when they do Sister Mirian always tells me.

They are from Venezuela, and because Macario is American it's become too dangerous to live in the country he's called home for ten years. They leave everything behind—her family, his dad. Their home and jobs. Madero, the new “president” has made it too precarious for the family to continue living in Maricaibo. They leave on one of the last international flights out of the country.

I come to love this family—all of them—and of all the folks whose lives have intersected with mine at CAFEMIN, it's these people I miss the most.

On the Saturday before Easter I am included in the Baptism of their two children. There are dressed in white—Derek in a snappy white suit and Lili in a lovely white dress. There is something very special about watching older children take this sacrament. Unlike a baby, they have some idea of what is happening.

All day Macario has been cooking, and that evening there is a party for the twenty guests who've been invited. A long table has been set in the center of the compound. We ate spaghetti and salad. There are balloons and a big cake.

Because it's Easter, I have baskets for the two children. I've been telling them that the Easter Bunny--el conjejo de Pascua--is a friend of mine and that maybe he'd come to Mexico if I asked him to. Like all the children who come through here, there is no culture of the Easter Rabbit, so it's always fun to introduce him.

At a lull in the party, I shout down. Vino el conjeo, vino el conjeo. The Easter Bunny's come. They race upstairs to the library and attack the goodies he's left behind.

Later, when I see Macario, he tells me they were on a sugar high for days. A happy, happy memory.

There is great hope for this family. Because of them is American, the “system” will take less time. Interestingly, it's the children who will need to petition the US government for their mother to come to the United States.

I know we will keep in touch.

Los Mutilados                                                                                                                                    April 8th, 2014

A few day before the “mutilados” arrive, I'm asked if I can come in early to help out with feeding a large group of Honduran men who've come to Mexico City in hopes of meeting with the president, Pena Nieto.

“Mutilados” is not a word I know so I have to ask around. It's a cognate, I learn, but why on earth would I think of anyone as mutilated. Just who are these mutilated ones?

I'm stunned when I arrive very early the next morning. There are, perhaps, 40 men—mostly on the young end. Each of them has lost a limb, or limbs. Talk about politically incorrect language. Calling a group of people “mutilated” is beyond my scope of correct usage in English, and even in Spanish I'm told it's crude. But that's the term they go by.

I”m more than curious, so I seek out Mauricio. He's got the scoop. Each of these men had been on a train somewhere in Mexico. They were riding the train illegally, assumedly heading north to the Mexican/American border. When they were discovered, each had been thrown off the moving train. They tell of the many, many more who died on impact. They are the “lucky” ones—the ones who didn't die, the ones who survived the loss of a leg, or an arm, or two legs and an arm, or a leg, a half a leg.

The whole story is hideous, and I'm shocked that this sort of thing still exists.

They have traveled in a group--all of them walking or relying on transport from generous folks.
They've given DF advance warning, and the entire scope of Mexico City media has descended on CAFEMIN. They've even been given limo service to get around.

All the want is to meet the president, tell him what happened, and ask that it doesn't happen again. The media seems to be on their side.

But they never do meet with the president. They get close, but never into his office.

I'm told it's a public embarrassment to Mexico. The government offers them money, free houses, a visa to come and live in Mexico. But that is not what they want. They want the promise that this will not happened again, but apparently that's not promised.

The day before they leave, a massive rain storm blows in. No one can leave the compound. Wind howls, rain descends in sheets. Then, as soon as it begins, it changes...to hail.

Hail descends in huge balls. The entire compound is covered in inches of white stuff.

There's so much it looks like snow.

So what's a child of the north supposed to do with this?

I start making small snow balls and begin throwing at the kids. They pick up really fast. We have a hailball fight. Everyone laughs. I built little hailmen. I hand one to Sister Mirian, who's from El Salvadore and has never seen anything like this. She doesn't know what to do with it and immediately drops it. The kids begin pelting her with hailballs.

The mutilados join in. We're all laughing hysterically. This is just way too much fun.


All of these people have an impact on my life. Over the winter I've had glimpse into the lives of people who just want a better life. None of them want to leave their country. No one them want to leave their families, their friends, their support groups.

But they do. And they move on.

Because they have no choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment