Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mexico's Bicentennial: Viva la Revolucion! Viva el Centerario

Mexico City
November 20, 2010

Viva la Revolucion! Viva el Centenario!

A 100 years ago today Mexico commenced its revolution, freeing itself, over a period of ten years, from the horrible mismanagement of its previous 100 years.

This has been quite the year for Mexico. While it certainly gets enough worldwide attention solely for its problems with the cartels, the really great things that make this country my adopted home hardly make the news. Things like the bicentennial of its independence in September and now, today, its celebration of the centennial of the Mexican Revolution.

In September, the city was buzzzing in preparation for its 200th birthday. This was not the case this month. This was certainly the lesser of the two events, but, as is typical with things done in this fantastic city, it was done in a "bigger than life" sort of way.

For ten nights the city has hosted a pagaent in the Zocalo. Pagaent is a small world for the extravaganza. I arrived at 8:45 expecting some sort of sound and light show, but was hosted to a 90 minute spectacle complete with a cast of 200 people and 3D lighting miracles projected on the Cathedral and National Palace. I was in awe! The pagaent told the story of Mexico from Pre-Hispanic times right to the 21st century. Dancers from the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico sang, danced and brought the audience, in the thousands, through 3000 years of history. And what they didn't/couldn't do, the 3D lighting projectiolns on the 900 foot Palacio Nacional and Cathedral did.

It was a full twenty minutes into the show that I began to realize there were two things going on: the light show, which I'd been following ardently, and the pagaent. Because I got there late, I couldn't worm my way closer. Just as well. I was content to watch the light projections. When the pagaent talked of the great Mayan and Aztec civililizations, great serpents were projected on the buildings. When trains connected Mexico in the late 19th century with the rest of the Americas, trains were projected. A 3D replication of the 1985 earthquake that killed thousands in this city showed the damage done do the two edifices in this giant square.

I'll go back on Monday. This time I'll get there early to watch the spectacle on stage.

Today, I got up early and made my way into the city to get a good seat for the parade that would start at the Zocalo and end, 90 minutes later, at the Monument to the Revolution. I was early and was able to get a seat on a curb that would afford me a good view of the parade. I knew i'd be there for awhile, so asked the woman next to me if she knew where there was a bathroom. she directed me to a restaurant. Not wanting to lose my seat, I asked her if she'd mind holding it for me. She did and it developed into a very nice afternoon. Rosa is a teacher and we had a lot to talk about--salaries, problems in the system, curriculum. Seems things aren't much different here than in the USA. She was there with her son and his friend. What a lovely, accidental, chance meeting to share the parade with this pleasant family.

All the heroes of the Revolution were in the parade.

Riding horseback, followed my a float representing his role in the Revolution, each hero had his moment in the centennial sun:

"Viva Mexico," shouted Pancho Villa . "Viva el Centenario!"

"Viva Mexico," shouted Francisco Madera. "Viva el Centenario!"


"Viva Mexico," shouted Emiliano Zapata. "Viva el Centenario!"

And each time the crowd would shout back, "Viva Mexico! Viva el Centenario."

The day ended with a whimper. This time there were no fireworks. The country had expended itself in September for its Bicentennia. Still, it was great fun and a great privilege to be part of both parts of Mexico's important year.

Viva Mexico!

Vva el Centenario!



No comments:

Post a Comment