Friday, May 7, 2010

"My Rita:" A Remembrance by Gloria Boyer

My Rita

Rita is my dear sister and my third mother. We grew up together at 8 Charles Street in Saranac Lake. My birth mother died when I was an infant, and Rita’s family enfolded me into their home and hearts.

Rita was 11 years old and had been praying all her life for a baby. At the instant that prayer was answered, she loved me “unconditionally." No matter what I did or didn’t do, she loved me anyway….such a rare and precious gift.

She never stopped taking care of me; I have always been her baby sister. When I stayed
overnight with her in October at Lake Forest, she had a miniature bouquet of fresh flowers on the bed side table and a heated pad in my bed. When she was at Meadowbrook, I asked if she would like me to visit her. Her answer was not at all about her, but only about my comfort.

Rita was always happy, busy, and full of energy. She loved people, had lots of friends,
entertained, traveled, baked, cooked, cleaned, redecorated, had hobbies, and celebrated
holidays. She especially treasured her many relatives---Mom and Dad’s large families.

When she and Howard took trips, she would search for her close or distant ones.
And she was always ready for a party, with one person or many. In no time, she would be serving snacks or dinner. Everone loved her pickled beets or coleslaw flavored with sweet pickle juice.

Years ago, when Rita left home for school to work in Plattsburgh, Mom, Dad, and I were lost without her cheeriness. We felt like the sunshine had gone with her, until she brought it back with her next visit. This time it’s different; she has left us, and she will not be coming back to visit. We are devastated with our loss, until we remember that she isn’t gone at all!

She is closer to us than ever before. She is in our hearts this very minute, and forever. As I was awakening one morning, during Rita’s last days, I saw her in my mind. She was a vibrant, healthy young woman with an impish grin, and ready for the next adventure. I believe she was showing me how she looks today and how I will see her when we are all together again.

Rita had no doubts about eternity; she welcomed it with a joyous heart. We recently heard Don Piper, author of “90 Minutes in Heaven”, in person, describe Rita’s new home. There is no question about it; we know for certain that its glory, wonder, magnificence and grandeur are beyond words.

Rita is in perfect bliss in Paradise….home at last with her Lord in Heaven. She is still smiling, rambunctious, determined, and serving our Dear Savior with boundless enthusiasm.

Gloria Boyer
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Anthony’s Restaurant, Plattsburgh, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment