Sunday, November 22, 2009

In the End...An Epilogue

Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico
22 de Noviembre de 2009

In the end I spent about 25 full, wonderful, very satisfying days in Mexico. Almost all of them were spent on the altiplano. I´d always wanted to live in Mexico City and this was the year I did it. It just confirmed what I´ve felt for some time. As much as I love the beach, life in those towns is downright boring. That is not the case in Mexico City. Somewhere in that giant monster of a city, or its environs, is where I´d like to be.

Through a few connections that I made on my last visit to the city (May 2008), I had ¨friends¨ to do things with. And with those friends I made more. In the end I was invited to two dinner parties, two house parties and from one of those house parties an invitation to go out on the town. It´s the first time in years I´ve rolled home at 3:30 am. I even got an invitation to Huatulco, on the Pacific, for sometime next spring. Twist my arm!

In the end I spent two weeks off the altiplano: a week traveling from DF to Cuernavaca, Tasco and Acapulco, and another week on the Caribbean coast visiting one of my teachers from my days living in Playa del Carmen.

In the end I wrapped up my stay with a long weekend on the beach in Tulum, two hours south of Cancun!

In the end I met loads of Mexicans, but very few non-nationals. Until I got to the Cancun corridor, there really weren´t many. All of which was fine by me because it forced me to rely on my Spanish. Indeed, days would go by without English. This does not by any means indicate 

I´ve become fluent. Hardly. It´s just that I am more comfortable in the language and can navigate my way around language potholes.

In the end I can say that November is an astounding time to visit Mexico. There are few tourists, the weather is great and it´s sunny all the time.

In the end I averaged $18,.13 per night for hotel rentals. And I didn´t slum it. Four nights were at a beach hotel in Acapulco and in Tulum I had a cabin right on the Caribbean for three nights.

In the end, as is always the case with Mexico, I´m already planning my next get away. Huatulco in the spring and Mexcio City, again, for its Bicentennial in September 2010.

In the end I can say more and more that Mexico, of all the places I´ve been in the world, is more and more my adopted country and where I want to live out the rest of my days.

In the end, it was great!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment