Thursday, March 26, 2009

Zero to Sixty in...60

Iguazu Falls, Argentina
On the tri-border of Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil
March 28, 2009

The summer I graduated from high school I went to New York City for the first time alone.  I'd been there many times before, but always with my family.  It was 1967--the "Summer of Love"--and hippies were everywhere.  While roaming around Washington Park in Greenwich Village I bought a pin that said, "Don't trust anyone over 30."  I was eighteen and thirty was, well...unimaginable.

That was 42 years ago.  In two days I turn 60.  Twice as old as that dreaded age I imagined in 1967.  What happened and how did I get this far so fast?  It truly does feel like "Zero to 60 in sixty seconds."  What do I do now?  Buy another pin that says "Don't trust anyone over 70?"

Last summer, while I was planning this trip, I knew I'd be away for this special day, and I knew I wanted to do something that neither my father nor grandfather had done on their 60th.  Where in this great, exceptional world of South America, would I really like to be on March 30th?

Iguazu Falls was the clear winner.

These are the biggest waterfalls in South America.  Indeed, they are the biggest in all of the Americas.

I have not looked forward to this birthday.  I know it's only a number, that all it means is that the earth has gone one more time around its orbit.

Still...60! But I am grateful, grateful beyond belief.  I think of all those who died prematurely, long before 20, 30, 40 or 50. I keep reminding myself that 60 is a gift.

"The gift of 60," I keep telling myself.

So, how will I spend the day.  I will wake to thanks, take a swim in the pool, eat breakfast and spend the day exploring the falls.  And, in keeping with my promise that I'm going to do something my father and grandfather didn't do.  I'm going to rappel down a waterfall, glide through the jungle on a cable, and ride some rapids--in other words, the "all inclusive Iguazu Adventure package."  And when the day is done, I'll eat a medium-rare Aregentinian steak, order a fine bottle of Diet Coke, and eat more dessert than I should.

And I will give thanks--again.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment