Thursday, January 29, 2009

-19 and 19 hours to go

Jan. 14th, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Plattsburgh, New York

It's -19; no human being is lingering outside too long. The sun is shining, the grass is not green, and a Great Artic front has enveloped the region. How sweet to be leaving at the worst of winter. And how strange to think that once I board the flight tomorrow evening I will touch down in Santiago, in full summer. In a sense, I will fly to the other side of the sun.  Today, as I looked south to get warm, I realized that on Friday afternoon I'll be looking north for the same effect. As friends in NY count down the days for winter to be over, I'll be counting down the days for summer to end. On March 21st when notherners say "Finally, it's spring" I'll say, "It's fall." When others spring ahead, I'll fall behind. First flowers in New York will mean leaves turning to red, gold and brown in Bolivia.


The trip: I leave Montreal on the 15th, fly to Toronto and onwards to Santiago, Chile. A few days there, then on the 21st I fly to Easter Island. I'll spend a week hiking each possible trail/path/mountain and return to Santiago on the 28th. From Chile, I cross into Argentina and spend two weeks working my way to Buenos Aires where I'll pick up an apartment on February 12th. Steve arrives on the 15th and we'll spend two weeks exploring the city and its environs togther. On March 16th I leave Buenos Aires and head north, up the western side of Uruguay and ultimately return to Argentina to make my way to Iguazu Falls in time for my birthday on March 30th. Heading westward, I traverse Paraguay and enter Argentina once again. From the city of Salta I'll make the slow slog up and over the Andes via Boliva where I hope to spend Holy Week--Semana Santa. After Easter, I'll find my self on Lake Titicaca then to the Peruvian colonial city of Arequipa where I'll hike the world's deepest canyon. From Arequipa, it's home via Lima. 100+ days, thousands of miles, innumerable adventures, and heaps of new people to meet. Life is good! And, oh--it will be summer!Location:Plattsburgh, NY
Mood: crazy
Leave a comment
Add to Memories
Tell a Friend
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment